|4th easiest Gogoplata setup: "Dude, smell my foot."|
The gogoplata used to be a rare thing, kind of like seeing panda bears fornicating or finding a gay-and-atheist-friendly member of the Westboro Baptist Church. With the advent of the Rubber Guard in grappling and people seeing Shinya "Magic Pants" Aoki choking people out with it in Japan, it seems almost every person training jiu jitsu with some level of flexibility has tried it at least once in the last few years. Since gogoplata defense isn't part of the general BJJ curriculum, I added the video below to show the easiest early-reaction defense against the gogoplata.
- Opponent tries to slap a gogoplata on you
- If you're early enough, keep the arm on the attacking side pinned to his hip, lift up your hips, and drive your head down toward his chest to prevent him from getting his foot around your head
- If he manages to get his foot around, spin out toward the attacking side to prevent the gogo (If the attack was not during a pass attempt, push the other leg down as you spin)
- This will momentarily open you up for an omoplata, so grab your pants with the trapped hand, and keep good posture by looking away, head up
- Lift his hips with your other hand, brace down on his leg with your near knee as you pull your arm out, finish the escape by passing to side mount
I think a kneebar would be an interesting transition in step 4.